Friday 23 September 2011

NOMADS

About 6000 B.C.

Nomads settled as farmers in the Fertile Crescent. They had to find a way to get water to their crops.  This contraption I made shows how to get water to plants.  This is my idea.

first I drew a picture.  I call it the water deliverer.  The Nomads needed to get water to their crops without them dying.  If they did not get water to them they'd have to move to a new spot.  
There's a river called the Tigris river in the Fertile Crescent.  




There'd be two fences on either side of a passage, and they would have to build passages first through the crops and around the crops.  There'd be a piece of wood in the channel and all they had to do was lift the piece of wood and the water would pour out of the river and into the channels to the crops and it can feed the crops and you wouldn't have to do so much work.






then I built it.  I built it with modelling clay, a plastic bowl and some popsicle sticks on a cutting board.  I filled the bowl up with water and then lifted a black modelling clay ball and the water went threw my passages.  And that's how my little water deliverer works.



5 comments:

  1. Wow Noah! I loved your blog post about the Nomads and the contraption you made to help get water to the plants. You are very clever. Did the clay model well for you and work the way you hoped? Also, would you like to show this off to everyone on the Smartboard? Well done, Man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Uncle Kyle would be proud of your budding engineering skills. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, cool, cool! You are so imaginative! Maybe someday you will be an Engineer and help solve the problem of lack of water in Africa! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool, Noah! That project took a lot of thinking. You had to think to understand the problem and the details that made getting water to the crops difficult. And then you had to think some more about how to design a deliverer that could actually get the water to the crops. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. I appreciate the confidence your giving me

    ReplyDelete